1. To discover the relationship between cultural influences and the architectural development in South Vietnam
2. To have a deeper understanding of urban planning issues and the interplay of the matrices of determinants involving physical attributes, commercial feasibility, social fabrics as well as political factors in particular relating to Generation Z (Those born between the early 1990s and the early 2000s).
3. To be aware of the impact of rapid urbanization on the environment and the need for sustainable development in the urban planning process.
4. To gain an insight of Singapore’s strengths in urban planning and sustainable environmental management skill-sets
Wednesday, April 27, 2011
Tuesday, April 26, 2011
Wednesday, April 20, 2011
Tuesday, April 19, 2011
Monday, April 18, 2011
Wednesday, April 13, 2011
Monday, April 11, 2011
Thursday, April 7, 2011
In case you did not manage to get 100% of what I have presented earlier. Here are the downloadable PDF copy of the slides.
Tuesday, April 5, 2011
- Culture plays an important role in the physical development of a country
- Environmental issues are systemic in nature
- The importance of developing human capital in resource-scarce Singapore
Learning Experiences (Essential Questions (EQ) and Learning Outcomes (LO))
Sun (22 May)
Arrive Ho Chi Minh City. Check in hotel: Lavender Hotel
Initial preparation and final briefing
Mon (23 May)
Ho Chi Minh (Full day tour to places of worship and key historical sites)
- EQ: How is culture an influencing element in the physical development of a country?
- LO: Students would learn about the interplay between culture and development and how these influence the growth of HCMC, through appreciating the different architecture.
Tues (24 May)
· Chu Chi tunnel
· Cai Dai temple in Tay Ninh
- EQ: How is the design of the tunnel complex influenced by the varying needs over time?
- LO: Students would learn about the idea of designing with limited resources in mind, and how innovation can be applied to overcome resource and other constraints
- EQ: How is cultural integration reflected in design?
- LO: Students will discover the impact of cultural and religious integration and how this impacts the lives, practices and religious buildings of the locals.
Wed (25 May)
Can Gio Biosphere Reserve
- EQ: What are the primary considerations in the development of the Biosphere?
- LO: Students will learn about the systemic approaches needed for environmental sustainability in this mammoth project, and more specifically about the complexity to realize this Unesco-recognized endeavour to reality.
Thurs (26 May)
Ho Chi Minh City (Visit to retail outlets, both traditional and modern)
- EQ: How is the retail development in HCMC a reflection of the country’s development?
- LO: Students will learn about the interplay between a country’s development and its retail and marketing scene. The more pervasive use of media in advertisements is one such example.
Fri (27 May)
Vietnam-Singapore Industrial Park (VSIP) 1 and 2
- EQ: Why is it important for Singapore and her citizens to venture out?
- LO: Students will learn about the need for Singapore to develop her human and other capital in order to ensure her (future) survival.
Sat (28 May)
Depart for Singapore